Thursday, March 9, 2017

Differently Abled


This week, we are fortunate to have a guest blogger – Tim Vermande!  I would like to publicly thank him for his work and for being willing to share his experiences.  Once, when I was in high school, I was chosen to participate in a social experiment in which I was “blind” for a day.  I noticed immediately how many times my teachers asked if we could all “see” the examples on the board.  In between periods, it felt noisy, rushed and frankly a little scary as I tried to navigate my way through crowds of students trying to get to their next class.  It made me realize how much I take for granted, and it made me angry at how often others are denied rights or experiences simply because of ignorance and greed.  Which is why I’m so grateful to Tim, and happy that all of you will begin to think about these issues.  So without further ado….

Recently, CBS reported on perceived problem of “drive-by” ADA lawsuits. You can view this report at http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-americans-with-disabilities-act-lawsuits-anderson-cooper/.

One thing that struck me in viewing this report is that was very “ableist.” This is a term that isn’t familiar to a lot of people. Ableism refers to a view, which may be subconscious, that “normal” is a standard for how the world works, and those outside of normal have “special needs.” If you’ve been in my World Civilization class, you may remember that when we cover the 1960’s, I talk about the interest in defining “normal” through testing (IQ tests, standardized tests in school, and the like) and a branch of pseudo-science known as eugenics. It also includes standards today of “perfect” bodies in the media, as well as expectations that lead to the “make-up tax” that hits women in many professions as they strive to meet an appearance standard.

While I enjoy this section, especially the responses such as “being normal is boring,” it’s a challenge to live in a world where plans and decisions are made without considering their impact on persons who live with one or more disabilities. It may be the exception that someone might set out to exclude people, but unconscious ableism causes well-intentioned people to make decisions that do cause exclusion.

My immediate response to reports such as this is to suggest that reporters and others should try a day in a wheelchair. One of the people in the CBS report who was interviewed was upset about repeated lawsuits over his parking. He complained that the space was within a few inches of the specification. When you’re getting into or out of a van, a few inches make quite a difference. Likewise, when a restroom door is an inch too narrow, you can’t get in. That’s a form of discrimination.


How would you feel if you couldn’t get into the restroom? Or into a place to eat? The ADA has been the law for 25+ years. Maybe, to think about my quiz question on the effects of laws, you could tell the police that the speed limit hasn’t been the law for long enough to follow it. How well do you think that would that work? There are lots of times where I’ve mentioned something that’s wrong about a place, and months later, it’s still wrong. How many warnings are you likely to get before a ticket? This is why lawsuits arise.

As my friend Lawrence Carter-Long states, “There is nothing special about a need other people get to take for granted. Denying someone something that other people get by default is discrimination. That's also what we should call it.”

To go further into today’s world, charter schools received public funding through vouchers. This is about to become more widespread. But charter schools don’t have to follow the ADA and other requirements for educating students with disabilities—even mobility-only impairments. How do you feel about this? As an alternative, can you share a time where you have experienced or witnessed discrimination?






12 comments:

  1. The only time that I've faced discrimination that made me feel pretty serious about myself was when someone pointed out that all because my skin color was lighter than theirs I thought I was white and therefor better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is outrageous that charter schools are allowed to receive funding through vouchers and charities but don't make efforts to accommodate ALL of their students. That is completely unfair to the students with disabilities, especially considering that some of the charities that give to the schools probably advocate for children's health, well-being, and education! I would hope that since they are able to conduct their own rules, most of them have some kind of requirements in place for students with disabilities anyway, even though they are not required to.
    In regards to facing or witnessing discrimination, I have yet to come face to face with disability discrimination. Luckily, almost everyone at my high school were very kind and considerate to the students with disabilities. They had their own hallway that was specially designed for them but they also had the opportunity to be integrated into 'normal' classes, if they or their parents felt they were able. The only discrimination I've faced/witnessed was racial discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like schools should follow the rules, especially if they are getting funded. Its not fair that someone can't walk, or can't see. They didn't choose to be like that. Why do they get treated poorly for something they can't control? I hate that people do discriminate, even if it's something minor. Lost my faith in humanity again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girlfriend uses a wheelchair, so there have been a number of times where I've seen some form of discrimination or pure ineptitude. Just last week, someone parked in the usual handicap spot where my girlfriend parks her truck. Of course, this person not only lacked the handicap signage, but also parked pass the blue line into the empty space next to it. There have been times where my girlfriend and I would go to an amusement park and there would be children that stare at my girlfriend's chair or her disability with her legs. While children would obviously be curious about it, we've seen parents that yank their children away, shaming them for even looking at my girlfriend. My girlfriend mentioned that shaming children instead of possibly asking about it is one of the worst ways she can think of handling the situation. If average people don't start noticing and accepting those with disabilities, than those that might need help can get left behind in societal functions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally think the subject of discrimination is wrong. I have witnessed discrimination first hand in my hometown of Bedford Indiana. My 8th grade year, my friend Tyler came out and told us that he was gay. I accepted it realizing nothing would change, but my other friends gave him the cold shoulder for two and a half years. They acted like just because he was honest with us that that meant he would change from that point on. He totally didn't. You wouldn't even know he was gay unless he told you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With so many people breaking the rules, it's easy to forget that there are actual reasons for having what some might suggest "special treatment." With closer parking for those who need it, it isn't a privilege, it' should be a right because it's needed in order for the person with a disability to be able to function properly as society seems fit. Whereas people who don't need a closer parking spot would already be able to perform at the same function that the same society deems fit.
    Furthermore, I have seen first hand ableism with a bathroom sign's brail being printed out on paper, and not indented at all, making it completely useless. Ableism is very prominent in our community, I feel, and it is probably having to do with the fact of how easily it is overlooked. Like for instance, not being able to see for a day really puts things into perspective of how much so things aren't equal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never witness discrimination, but I'm grateful that stuff like that is not happening now. I can just imagine myself not being able to use the same restrooms and restaurants as others, knowing that I don't have a problem sharing with didn't type of races.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can list many of times where i have been seen discrimination and have had it done to me. it was in high school and most people saw it as a joke when deep down it still stabs me. I also get it from both sides...im not black enough for white people and then im told that i act white by black people. it use to get to me but now i dont care what other people think i have goals and i cant let discrimination get me down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen discrimination first hand but have heard and read about discrimination from all kinds of media sources around the world. I don't believe any one person or group of people should be discriminated against

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is Kaeli

    I can't say I have experienced or have witnessed first hand anyone being discriminated for their disabilities. (I would say I see people taking advantage of disabilities at times, like faking a disability for better spaces) But I do believe schools should be more easily accessible towards those with disabilities. Especially with schools, it feels like 1 group is catered to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tend to face discrimination quite often as a skateboarder. The common passerby or business owner likes to stereotype us as punks and criminals, while all we are trying to accomplish is self expression. Living in small town America all of my life, these ways of discrimination are quite normal, which is very sad to say. I feel that somewhere along the line, we forgot what being human was. The disabled usually cannot help the fact that they are impaired in some way, and for someone else to judge or turn them away is just ludicrous to me. No matter how we look or function, we are all the same species, and should be treated with equality.

    ReplyDelete