Thursday, September 11, 2014

Staying For Love?

This week, we probably all heard about NFL player, Ray Rice who played for the Baltimore Ravens.  Rice was arrested on assault charges earlier this year, after hotel surveillance cameras showed him dragging his then fiancée out of a hotel elevator.  In March, the criminal charges were dropped after Rice agreed to go to court supervised counseling. Rice married his fiancée, Janay Palmer the day after the charges were dropped.  As a result of the arrest, he also faced a two-game suspension from the NFL.  Fast forward to this week, when the surveillance cameras from inside the elevator were released, showing Ray physically assaulting Palmer, knocking her unconscious and then dragging her body out of the elevator.  The Baltimore Ravens immediately dropped Rice from his contract, and the NFL has suspended him indefinitely.  You can watch the elevator video here, but I must warn you that it’s graphic and upsetting, so viewer discretion is advised: http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-elevator-knockout-fiancee-takes-crushing-punch-video/

To say I was disturbed by watching the video and its aftermath would be an understatement.  A few weeks ago I alluded to the fact that I grew up in a violent home.  Then in 2009, my boyfriend’s sister was murdered in a domestic violence incident, leaving behind two young children who witness the attack. Domestic violence has affected the woman that I am today more than any other influence in my life, short of my faith. October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and in light of the recent headlines regarding Rice, I thought it would be a good time to blog once again about the issue.
I’m sure we’ve all heard the statistics:
  • Every 9 seconds a woman is assaulted or beaten.
  • Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women – more than car accidents, muggings and rapes combined.
  • 1:4 women will be a victim of domestic violence in their lifetime.
What’s even more concerning is the conversation that has sprung up as a result of the Rice incident, about why Palmer still married him, and has publically supported him since the video footage was released.  Some people just can’t understand what abuse can do to a woman mentally, and why some women are too afraid, or in too much denial to leave.  It has prompted women from all around the country to contribute to a Twitter conversation with the hashtag #WhyIStayed:

“I stayed because my pastor told me that God hates divorce.”

“I stayed because I was halfway across the country, isolated from my friends and family.”

“I stayed because I thought love was enough to conquer all.”

 So my question to you this week is, “Why do you think domestic abuse often goes unreported?  Should there be harsher penalties for abusers?  Was the NFL too lenient in only suspending Rice for 2 games, until the additional elevator footage was released?”  You must answers all questions for full credit.  Answers are due no later than Wednesday, September 17th, 2014.  If you, or anyone you know has been a victim of domestic violence, you can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE and talked to a trained counselor 24/7.

To those of you who lost loved ones in the September 11, 2001 attack – my thoughts and prayers are with you today.  To those of you who have served in the armed forces – thank you for your service!

 

14 comments:

  1. I honestly dont know abuse goes reported but i think its very stupid and selish when you have your friends and loved ones involved and you just keep running back to that person. My sister has been beaten by her husband every since i left for the military and she kept going back to him. SInce i been back from the military he hasnt laid a hand on her because big brother is back and wont play that. So if a man is tough enough to lay his hands on a woman then why wont you go up to a man like you did her. Because a man will knock you flat out like the coward you are. Yes they were way too lenient. Since Im a trained walking weapon and i knock somebody out i could charged more harsh than a regular civilian. Football players are trained to hit and endure, so they need to be punished more harsh as well. Yes there should be harsher punishments for abusers because first of all, no man has a right to put his hands on a woman the wrong way, and if it was up to me I would go around and abuse these men that want to abuse and belittle women. I would use military tactics and make these men treat their women like queens that they are. It takes a bigger and a real man to just walk away when things get too intense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the only reason instances of domestic violence don't go reported are because sometimes the spouses don't think they can stand up and do something about it, believing that if they speak up they'll get hit again. Abusers should definitely get harsher penalties in my mind, and the NFL claimed they had nothing in place for his off the field incident. but when the video leaked they decided to play the hero, so yes, the NFL was too lenient. it is NEVER right for a man to put his hands on a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think abuse reports go unreported because women are afraid of the long term outcome of them saying something to the police. Personally I would never stay with anyone like that. No one should ever get away with getting abused. I think the only reason he got suspended was because of the video. If she just would've testified against him without the video he would've still been able to play. I'm not saying what he did was right I'm just looking at it from another perspective. He should've been punished but not kicked out of something he worked his whole life for. He should've as well as other abusers had a harsher punishment but not lose his job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think reports of abuse would go unreported its because women are to afraid or to stupid to get out of the relation ship. Anyway there should be harsher penalties like a lot of other issues. I do think Ray Rice should have been suspended for way more than 2 games. Matt Prater was suspended for 4 games for drinking a couple of beers. So thats all I got to say, Don't want to talk anymore about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think domestic violence or abuse goes unreported because i feel like the victim doesn’t want to speak up about the situation they are going and agrees to be in this situation because of love or it wasn’t their fault for those actions. I feel like their either afraid and its just normal and most people just brush it off. I think there should be a harsher penalty for abusers like them. Maybe spending 1 day in jail. For Ray Rice, I believe that it was too lenient from the NFL for suspending him for 2 games. I think he should be suspended for the season because NFL are role models for young athletes and those harsh outbreaks are uncalled for a professional NFL player. This doesn’t make him qualify for this profession.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel that most domestic abuse goes unreported because the person being abused feels like a victim. I believe that the thought process is, if someone is willing to cause physical or even emotional damage because of something minute what will he or she do if I report this to the police or even leave. Also, I could see it maybe being somewhat embarrassing for an individual to admit that they have somehow positioned themselves to be in a violent situation. It is a very difficult situation for anyone to be in and I can understand why domestic abuse victims most often do not report their situation to family, friends or authorities. As far as a harsher penalty for abusers is concerned, that is really a difficult question to answer. I’m not really sure what the penalties currently are, and I don’t have a comparison of what they should be harsher than. I believe that like most crimes the punishment should fit and be given on a case-to-case basis. However, I do believe that the NFL made a major mistake by not suspending Rice from the start. I feel that after the video was released they attempted to cover up an intentional mistake that won’t soon be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe domestic violence isn't reported because of the fact that the one being abused is very much so afraid of the end result. Some feel that their love is way more important when it really isn't worth being abused. Punishments are almost not enough for this situation. I feel that regardless of the punishment there wouldn't be a difference in attitudes. Ray Rice's punishment was way to lenient. I feel that he deserves more than two games possibly the rest of the season especially considering how Michael Vick was suspended for dog fighting...Rice hit a woman stone cold out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many reasons why it goes unreported. Some women feel like they can handle it or maybe even deserve it. Some women feel like they can help change the situation. Some women feel like they have to stay for the kids. My best friend had an abusive husband and no one knew what was going on because she was embarrased about the situation she was in. She didn't want to give up on her marriage but at the same time didn't want to stay to endure the abuse. I think there should be harsher penalties for domestic violence. Just because you are in a relationship with someone does not make the assault any less violent than if it was from a stanger. Yes I definitly think the NFL was too lenient. Again assault should not matter if it is a stranger or someone you are in a relationship with. Violence against someone you are in a relationship is worse than violence against a stranger. There is a higher level of respect that you should have for someone you are in a relationship with and physical or mental abuse should be know where on the list of things that happen within that relationship. When someone is willing to cross the line and become violent with someone they are intimate with, then how far would they be willing to go with someone they are unfamiliar with. If someone is willing to betray their loved ones in a relationship that should be more important than all others, then I would question their sincerity in their doings with all other people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most domestic abuse goes unreported due to being scared, there should be harsher penalties against him, and the NFL was too lenient on him just because he is a football player.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok I dont think they were too leinient. I think they were good with the 2 games at first to get all the info then indefinitely. Which made me happy, my boyfriend showed me and I almost vomited. Domestic abuse is unreported because the abuse is mental and emotional to. The abuser doesnt just randomly smack u they groom you first. With little stuff that isnt always caught on to. So much so that when the abuse starts your caught off guard. There could always be harsher penalties but wouldn't it be nice if there were ways to penalize ppl for emotial or mental abuse...bc those are just as painful if not more at times

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are many reasons why abuse goes unreported. I think the most common reasons why it goes unreported is because of either fear that something worse will happen to the victim, or they really do love their abuser and they don't want to lose them. I know that the second one may be a difficult one to wrap your mind around, but it happens. The victim sometimes justifies why it happened because they believe their abuser loves them, or it's been going on for so long that they start to believe that they deserve it.

    I think that there should be a no-tolerance policy for abuse. There is really no excuse for it.

    I think he should have been suspended indefinitely right from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Domestic abuse goes unreported probably because the victim is too afraid to tell authorities, they are in denial that the incident happened and that it won't happen again, they make excuses for why it happened, usually blaming themselves for causing the incident. There should be harsher penalties for domestic abuse. If they get a slap on the wrist, it's just a sign or an "okay" for them to do it again and again. I think the 2 game suspension was lenient. He should be suspended as up to 4 games just like if a player didn't follow the rules for drugs. How the NFL is handling the case now is stupid but that's just because they have dug themselves into a hole.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom ( who is a victim of abuse) told me she would not leave him because she loved him. I think even if the women does not want him arrested the cop should arrest him anyways. I think the NFL was too lenient of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think a lot of women are scared of the men. I never met my grandma, but I was told that my grandpa would beat her all the time and told her if she ever told or tried to leave, that he would kill her. And sadly, one day, he did kill her. I also think it's because of kids or they just really love them. I do think they were way too lenient on him for something like that and there needs to be harsher penalties for abusers.

    ReplyDelete