Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Choose Your Own Adventure

It's always hard coming back to school after break. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching and being surrounded by all the crazy, creative evergy that is all of you. That being said, it's still hard to get back into the grind.  So for our first blog post, I'll go easy on you.

This week we started our study of the Constitution and the freedoms that make us uniquely American. You can order your own free copy of the United States Constitution from: http://www.constitutionfacts.com/index.cfm?section=bookstore&page=freeCopy.cfm

Normally, our first blog post has something to do with the freedoms you value most and whether or not you are proud to call yourself an American. This quarter, I would like to start with something different. A good portion of this class will be spent discussing current events and political issues that affect our everyday lives. For this post, I would like you to tell me at least one issue that you are interested in studying. To help you out, you can look over the blog posts that we've had in the past several years to get an idea of the type of things we've covered. Many of the topics are pretty controversial and I do my best to not censor the information available to you.

So my question to you this week is, "What is one issue that you are interested in studying in this class?" Answers are due no later than Sunday, July 14th, 2013. I'm looking forward to a great quarter!

14 comments:

  1. One issue that I would like to study about in class is the legalization of same-sex marriage. The reason why is because I don't understand why it is that big of a deal to let a same-sex couple get married and have the same rights as a heterosexual couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't exactly have a specific topic in mind, but I would like to learn or discuss something controversial OTHER than abortion, homosexuality, or equal rights. I agree they are important topics currently, and I know we have to address them, but there has to be other topics we could discuss as well. These topics come up in a lot of our classes already, and every discussion seems to be the same. The link below lists a ton of alternative topics to choose from.

    http://www.debate.org/big-issues/

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a lot issues that need to be addressed but I would be interested in discussing legislation stuck in controversy like the Farm Bill or immigration reform

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no topic that I want to study in class other than what's in the text book. I do not care to hear other people's opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like ALL topics are important. Abortion, equal rights and homosexuality are big issues in today's society. If they weren't important they wouldn't be discussed over and over. Everyone's opinion matters and several topics should be addressed

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are many topics I would like to study more about. From censorship, to equal rights, and even the situation on currency in the U.S. I am also excited to hear on others opinions and beliefs because I would like to keep a open mind and have a larger perspective about politics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any topic in particular that I would love to learn more about. Honestly, my parents and former teachers have never discussed politics or current event with me, so I really don't know anything. Mostly, I'd like to learn more about politics in general and why I should care about them. I"m not sure if that's the kind of answer you were looking for or not, but it's all I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The issue that I want to learn in class is same-sex marriage. Same-sex couple should have the same rights as we do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like censorship is a huge area that is often looked over, yet it happens for a lot that happens around us. We are surrounded by so much sexuality and scandalous images and events happening all around us, yet some of the most important and valuable information is left censored. I do respect the fact that you'll leave as much uncensored to benefit us and I feel like it would be a great topic to go over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would just like to learn more about politics in general. I think it would be interesting to learn about the different issues that are underlying between different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to learn more about local government. I usually don't pay attention to local elections, but I feel like I could have more influence voting locally. It seems like the majority of Indiana politicians have old fashioned values, and younger generations need to step up and change this.

    Kelly G.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to learn more about the censorship issues in the United States. Also, I would like to learn about Indiana's government.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Something that I would be interested in studying this quarter is health care and why are country isn't able to afford health care for the american people. I have been trying to work on credit and it sucks that if I decide to go the hospital, I wont be able to pay my hospital bills because I'm a independent student and because I can't afford to make payments, it will effect my credit score.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to discuss religion, its role in our culture, and where it intersects government.

    ReplyDelete